If you need inspiration for a light lunch or an easy starter then this flavorsome smoked mackerel pate might be just what you’re looking for. It’s a great way of ensuring that you’re eating your weekly quota of oily fish which is packed with health-giving omega-3.
If you’re eating al-fresco then just serve it with slices of fresh bread and a green salad. It’s a good choice for a picnic or a light lunch. If you’re serving it at a fancy dinner party then you might want to spoon it into individual ramekin dishes and serve it with hot toasted brown bread and wedges of lemon. Diners who are watching their carbs will enjoy this accompanied with sticks of celery or slices of cucumber instead of the bread. Just make sure you’ve added all the necessary products to your grocery list!
- Smoked mackerel fillets 4
- Cream cheese 200 g
- Juice of one lemon
- Creamed horseradish 2 tsp
- Crème fraiche 2 tbsp
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh dill/chives or spring-onions to garnish (optional) 1 handful
- Lemon wedges to garnish (optional)
- Remove the skin and bones from the smoked fish fillets.
- Flake the fish into the blender and add the cream cheese, lemon juice, creamed horseradish and crème fraiche. Sprinkle generously with freshly ground black pepper and pulse in the blender until all the ingredients are mixed together and it is the desired consistency.
- Garnish with the chopped herbs and lemon wedges if you’re using them. Serve with fresh sliced bread or hot brown toast accompanied with a crisp, cold white wine.