Pho Bo is a Vietnamese soup consisting of beef, noodles and various spices. Local people say that in Vietnam you can taste this soup practically everywhere – even if you drop by your neighbor’s place, you can always count on a plate of Pho Bo. So, let us learn how to cook it yourself. It is not very easy but at the same time not super difficult. Surprise your family or friends with an exotic dinner!
P.S. The soup itself is not hot. Chili pepper is served separately so that one can always choose whether to add it or not.
Pho Bo Soup Recipe
- Fresh coriander 1 bunch
- Beef shanks 2 lbs
- Onions 2
- Ginger 7 oz
- Star anise 2
- Clove 6
- Cinnamon 1 stick
- Salt 1 tbsp
- Fish sauce 4 tbsp
- Sugar 1 tbsp
- Rice noodles 10 oz
- Beef tenderloin 10 oz
- Spring onions to taste
- Mint leaves 1 bunch
- Green basil 1 bunch
- Chili pepper to taste
- Lime 1
- Bean sprouts to taste
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
- Wash beef shanks, add cold water and bring them to boil in a big pan.
- Meanwhile slice onions and ginger and fry them on a separate pan without adding any oil (we are imitating frying over an open fire here). Remove the burnt parts and wash them.
- Remove the foam from the boiling broth and add the fried onions and the ginger as well as star anise, cloves, cinnamon, salt sugar and fish sauce.
- Put a lid on top of a pan and leave cooking for 1.5 hours on low heat.
- In 1.5 hours take the greater part of the beef out of the broth (leave the bones and a little meat cooking for more 1.5 hours) and put it in cold water.
- When the broth is ready, turn the heat off and filter the broth.
- While the broth is cooking, prepare the rest of the contents. Cook the rice noodles as described on its package and put it into your soup bowls.
- Slice the meat that we removed from the broth thinly and put it into the bowls as well.
- Also thinly slice raw beef tenderloin (it will be easier to do that if you freeze it a little beforehand) and put it into the bowls.
- Wash coriander, mint and basil and cut into large pieces. Chop spring onions, slice lime and cut onions into thin rings. Put everything (including chili pepper) on a separate plate and serve with soup.
- Pour the hot broth into the bowls.
Life & Cooking https://lifencooking.com/