Kid-Friendly Chilli Recipe
For most kids, the strong flavours of adult chilli-con-carne will be off-putting. So why not give this delicious, kid-friendly chilli recipe a try? It’s less spicy than most chilli recipes and contains fewer kidney beans, the texture of which some little ones are not too keen on. The addition of sweetcorn adds a splash of colour and means that you won’t have to serve it with vegetables on the side. This recipe is guaranteed to become a family favourite. The bright, contrasting colours in this dish look great and the flavours combine to create something really special. As your kids get older you can try increasing the quantities of chilli-powder and cumin, and doubling the quantity of kidney beans.
- Cooking oil 1 tbsp
- Lean minced beef 1 lb.
- Onion (peeled and chopped) 1
- Red pepper (de-seeded and chopped) 1
- Mild chilli powder ½ tsp
- Ground cumin seeds ½ tsp
- Tomato puree 2 tbsp
- Tin tomatoes 1 lb.
- Beef stock 1 cup
- Kidney-beans (drained and tinned) ½ lb.
- Sweetcorn kernels 1 small tin
- Chopped fresh parsley or grated cheese to garnish (optional)
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the chopped onion and cook until the onion softens and begins to brown. Add the chopped red pepper and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Remove the onion and pepper with a slatted spoon and now fry the mince until browned all over.
- Add the cooked onion and pepper, the chilli powder, cumin, tomato puree, tomatoes and beef stock. Season with a little salt and pepper and bring to simmering point.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the drained tinned kidney beans and sweetcorn and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve with plain boiled rice or with wraps. If using the parsley garnish, allow the kids to sprinkle their own chopped parsley on top. Fussy eaters might prefer a little grated cheese on top, or nacho-chips on the side.
Life & Cooking https://lifencooking.com/