Moussaka is a dish whose main ingredient is potatoes and minced meat, although in some kitchens the ingredients deviate from the basic recipe. The name of this dish comes from the Arabic word musaqqa’ah, which means “chilled.” In some countries, people use eggplant instead of potatoes. For this recipe, we’ll suggest that you keep the potato on your grocery list as (its half-sweet flavor makes a perfect combination with minced meat).
- Mixed minced meat 500 g
- Cooking oil 100 ml
- Onion 1
- Potatoes 4-5 large
- Milk ½ l
- Eggs 3
- Cheese (by choice)
- Water 1 cup
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
- Finely chop the onion and put it in a deep pan with cooking oil. Fry on medium heat and then add the mixed minced meat (previously thawed – if you usually use frozen meat). Fry the minced meat until it changes its color. While cooking this mix, add the spices (salt, pepper and paprika).
- In greased casserole pan, add one row of potatoes (previously washed, peeled and chopped in circles) and season with salt. On this potato base, add half of the meat and stir it well, so that you cover the entire row. Repeat this step by adding one more row of chopped potato circles and the rest of the fried meat. Add one glass of water and put the casserole pan in the oven (previously heated on 200°C). While the dish is in the oven, beat the eggs and mix them with 500 ml milk and chopped parsley. After ten minutes, take the pan from the oven and cover the moussaka with this topping. If you want, you can add some grounded cheese. Put back in the oven and let it cook for 40 minutes.
- Moussaka can be served warm, at room temperature or cold.
- For topping alternatives try chopped tomatoes and grounded white cheese.
- If you need vegan/fasting alternative for meat, use soya and/or mushrooms.
Life & Cooking https://lifencooking.com/