Striking Meatloaf Recipe with Apples
If you want to serve your family wholesome home- cooking, but are too busy to cook something from scratch every evening, look no further than the humble meatloaf. This is a relatively straightforward dish to make and the leftovers will keep you going for a couple of days afterwards, either fried-up, or as the perfect filling for a tasty sandwich. In fact, many people claim that meatloaf actually tastes best the next day. The apples used in this recipe add an extra dimension and make this a really striking dish! Part of the success of meatloaf as a dish is its huge variety – it goes well with so many different things. If you’re looking for a delicious new twist, try this fabulous version with apples elevating a simple dish into something very special. It’s not just the sweet moist quality that the apples bring to the dish. It’s a very rare blend of taste, convenience and nutrition.
- Ground beef 2 lbs
- Onion (finely chopped) ½
- Butter 1 T
- Apples (peeled and finely chopped) 4 large
- Olive oil 1 T
- Fresh breadcrumbs 1 cup
- Fresh chopped parsley 2 T
- Eggs (beaten) 2
- Salt 1 t
- Black pepper ½ t
- Worcester sauce 2 t
Add ingredients to shopping list
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Sautee the finely chopped onions in the tablespoon of butter for about 5 minutes until the onions start to soften.
- Peel, core and slice one of the apples. Place on a baking sheet drizzled generously with the olive oil.
- Mix all of the remaining ingredients together until they are evenly blended.
- Place the mixture in a greased loaf pan, lined well with tinfoil which has been lightly brushed with oil.
- Place the loaf pan onto the baking tray with the sliced apple, and put this tray in the oven for about an hour. Turn the roasting apples over regularly, so they are well coated in the oil and do not burn. After 60 minutes, check that the meatloaf is cooked through and not pink in the centre. Once you remove it from the oven let it rest for about 15 minutes. Keep the sliced roast apples in a warm place.
- Serve the meatloaf with the roast apple slices and vegetables on the side. Cabbage with marjoram goes well with this dish. Kids will enjoy it with a blob of tomato ketchup.
- It’s best to cook the loaf in aluminium foil. This will aid the cooking process so that it cooks through evenly and stays moist. It also keeps it fresh for longer if you want to keep the leftovers for a quick meal later on, or a sandwich filling.
Life & Cooking https://lifencooking.com/