Chicken & Andouille Gumbo
There are many different recipes of Gumbo, but they all are rich and loaded with fresh ingredients. Try this one, your entire family will definitely love it!
- Chicken 2½ pounds
- Andouille sausage 1 pound
- Water 3 quarts
- Flour ½ cup
- Vegetable oil 2 tbsp (for cooking)
- Vegetable oil ⅔ cup (for roux)
- Onion 2
- Garlic 2 cloves
- Green bell pepper 2
- Celery 2 stalks
- Diced tomatoes 1 can
- Bay leaves 2
- Basil 1 tsp
- Thyme 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
- Combine water and chicken in a medium sized pot. Bring water to a boil, then simmer until chicken is tender.
- Pour off water and set aside. When chicken is cool, shred it into smaller pieces.
- Slice sausage into ¼ inch pieces.
- Combine vegetable oil and flour in a heavy Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes, stirring constantly, until it turns a dark brown color.
- To the roux, add chopped onions, celery, bell peppers and minced garlic, and saute until vegetables are tender.
- Add water; bring to a boil.
- Add chicken, diced tomatoes, and sliced sausage. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the bay leaves, thyme, basil, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Mix well and simmer uncovered for about 1½ hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve gumbo over rice.
Life & Cooking https://lifencooking.com/